Monday, February 25, 2013

It has been a while...


So I haven’t posted something on this blog for quite sometime and its not that I forgot, I honestly did not. I kept thinking about blog posts on a daily basis but I was just in the middle of a lot of transitions in my life that I didn’t really feel that I could write an upbeat let a alone an honest post of my Chicago experience without talking about what was happening in my personal life. However, that has changed for the most part and I think I’m ready to start blogging again.

            This blog post will attempt to summarize a few of the events/locations I went to in the last two weeks. SO THIS WILL BE A LONG LOOONNNNGGG POST.

On Monday (2/11) I made corn empanadas for my roomies :)
Ingredients: 
2 cans of corn
1 can of cream of corn
half a bag of shredded cheddar cheese
half a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
grilled onions

Filling

End results. YUM!

On Tuesday (2/12) we watched the Maxwell Street Documentary. After we were done with that our Arts Seminar group went back to the Chicago History Museum to look at the Vivian Maier Exhibit. Vivian Maier was a street photographer who was born in New York and lived in Chicago. She was a nanny and a photographer on the side. At first her work didn’t really do anything for me but after looking at her photographs closely I began to understand why her work is worthy of an exhibit. Here are some pictures of her photographs:








This guy reminds me of Christian Bale in "The Fighter"

I want this in my apartment! 







On that Wednesday I went to Soul City Church for a special prayer event they were having that night called Stay and Pray. It was really amazing. There were I think six or seven stations and they each dealt with something different. I love this church! Its really helping me reconnect with God and I can't even express how much I've been wanting that. I can't even believe all of the things that God is helping me see and understand. I have been wanting to be closer to God since last year but I was so afraid that He would show me all of the areas in my life that needed to change but that I was unwilling to actually change. Anyway, this is getting too personal soooo on to the next day...


So that's that.
No but Becca, Ben, Alex, Lainie & I went to the Revolution Brewing Restaurant. I had THE MOST AMAZING BEER!

Being 21 is great :)
I don't really remember what we did that weekend. I think it was pretty low key because we were all super tired. I'm pretty sure we just watched movies in the apartment. Oh! On Saturday, I met up with Rachel at an ARGO TEA in Lakeview. It was soooooooo goooddddd! I can't even deal!

That Sunday Soul City Church started a new series on relationships. It was so enlightening. Afterwards, Becca and I decided to celebrate the wonderful service by grabbing some food at The Cozy Corner Diner in Logan Square. I didn't take a picture of my food but it was BOMB. Lainie joined us and we all ate lunch together. Afterwards, I went with Becca to her gym to get a membership.


On Tuesday (2/19) my Arts Seminar class went on a Walking Tour around the city to see different types of architecture. Here are some photos:













In the afternoon we went to the Re-Thinking Soup at UIC event. (link) The soup was fantastic and several people read from a cookbook that sounded like a fairytale- who would’ve thought!? Also, I bumped into two Grinnell grads. My group walked over the the Hull-House Museum next door. I got to repurpose an old t-shirt and make it into a shopping bag with a sewing machine from the 20’s.

Then on Wednesday I started my internship at Lillstreet which I had to write a blog post about for them. So that post should be on their website either by this Wednesday or sometime next week and i will link it to this page.

AHHHH! My memory sucks. There are actually a lot of other REALLY COOL things that happened. I'll do another blog post because they deserve it.

I'm done for now,
Rocio

Random Breakfast Picture









No comments:

Post a Comment